Can't sync custom ringtones to your iPhone via iTunes?

Hello world,

today I'd like to share a post in English, hoping to do a good thing and helping out others having the same trouble I experienced.
For some reason, my custom ringtones got lost when I fiddled around with my iTunes libraries, but behold: the answer might be easier than you think – though not as straightforward as you might have hoped.
Ever since Apple released iTunes 12.7 you'll find that several well-known features have disappeared, like "Tones". Concerning the ringtones, I was quite unnerved to find I could no longer sync my custom ringtones to my iPhone. After googling on for a bit, I found two problems and hope to solve them here.

Problem No.1:

iTunes won't let you sync your custom ringtones onto your iPhone via drag and drop.

Solution No. 1:

Copy the files (ctrl + c or cmd + click [right-click]) the files and paste them into the Tones section on your device (the righthand field, not the sidebar). This should work, I found this solution in the comments section here.


Problem No. 2:

iTunes tells you that your phone does not support .m4r files and thus you can't sync your custom ringtones.

Solution No. 2:

(Rant)
This one, I figured out for myself. I'm a little proud of myself. Okay, enough bragging.
If you're having trouble syncing your ringtones to iTunes the file you create as the ringtone (you create a brand-new file, right?) might be at fault, it (for some reason I don't get) has to be an .m4a file that'll then be changed into an .m4r. I kept creating new files which were .mp3 and when I changed the extension iTunes would basically tell me to bugger of because my iPhone couldn't read .m4r. Rubbish, right? So there seems to be a difference between .m4a-turned-.m4r and .mp3-turned-.m4r – whatever.

(Actual Solution)
Go into iTunes Preferences and check the Import Settings under the tab "General", right at the bottom. Check if the the import setting is set to "AAC Encoder" and "iTunes Plus", or adjust it accordingly, and hit OK. Mine were set to MP3 and thus, when I created a ringtone from my music, I had to change an mp3-file to m4r. This would not work (see rant above)!

Now, with your new settings applied, create your ringtone – same procedure as always:
1. Adjust the track settings to choose the right snippet.
2. Select the title, and create your short version via File > Convert > Create AAC version.
3. Right-click (cmd + click) the new title, reveal it in finder.
4. Move the file to your desktop (or wherever, optional).
5. Change the extension to .m4r.
6. Drag and drop your ringtone to your iPhone, sync and tadaaaa, it should work just fine now! At least, it did for me, so I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Hope this helps and fulfils my good deeds for the next day or two.

Cheers,
Fran



Follow

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Vielen Dank für Deine Lieben Worte!
Bitte beachte: Spam, Beleidigungen, sinnlose Werbung und folgst-Du-mir-dann-folge-ich-Dir-Kommentare werden von mir nicht veröffentlicht.

 

Meet the author

Meet the author
Fran.
30. Instructional Designer.
Master of Desaster.
Kaffee-Junkie. Träumerin.
Organisiertes Chaos.

Follow me